How to debug ACT in Mechanical with an external software?
You can use Visual Studio to debug by following these steps :
– Open Mechanical
– Start Visual Studio
– Open the IronPython script file for the extension of interest
– Go to Tools-> Attach to Process...
– Select the suitable "AnsysWBU.exe”
– Select “Managed (v4.5, v4.0)" option for code type
– Press “Attach” button to attach debugger to the process
Afterwards, you can put break points and access variables by stopping the process when you want.
To add to the answer above, it is of course also necessary to make sure Debug Mode is enabled in WorkBench. (I forgot to do this once and it took me ages to work out why the break points in Visual Studio were not working!)
To do this in WorkBench go to Tools -> Options -> Extensions then select "Debug Mode".